For snowboarders who like mountains...

This blog has been created with the purpose of compiling almost all my backcountry days from my first steps in the Cantabrican mountains to mountain ranges such as the Alps and the Pyrenees, and hopefully filled in the future with many travels in the pursuit of great rides and remote areas. Enjoy the reading!

Era Cauva, 1800m February, 9th 2013

Weather forecast failed...It was snowing almost all day long but still good visibility. When I arrived in Viella sky was pretty grey so I decided to go to the ski resort since I didnt see any car parked where the track to this mountain started. 
So I paid 47€ and despite the uncertain weather I enjoyed 3h riding through the pine forest of the bottom of the resort. Then I saw Sun shinng in some part, but not in the resort where looked even worse -no longer visibility in the forest. At this point I had to make a decision: either stay in the resort or try back country in the "sunny" area. I chose the second one, even having paid the skipass....

I left the cark in Hotel la Tuca in Viella and went up on a track. It was 13pm so i was quite pressed for time. The amount of snow was astonishing. I started at 950m and everything was buried under the snow.


As Í went higher the forest turned into pines mainly. There was so much snow that the track I followed cutted down the dirty road, so all the ascent was mainly through a beatiful forest.


At 1500, the forest got open...


I keeped going up whereas some skiers were going down. By that time the snowfall was getting heavier and heavier...and it was 3pm. I dediced to stop going up. It was getting to late, and the last thing I wanted was to get lost in the middle of the forest at night under the snowfall.

I enjoyed fresh deep snow....Best conditions! At least it wasnt foggy so visibility was good enough!



The forest was magical under the moderate snowfall...


At 1400m I took the dirty road again.Its difficult to believe cars come up here. I splitted the board up so I let myself slide all the way down.


I arrived at the car. I made a good decision going back. With this weather conditions it was dark at 5pm.


No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario