For snowboarders who like mountains...

This blog has been created with the purpose of compiling almost all my backcountry days from my first steps in the Cantabrican mountains to mountain ranges such as the Alps and the Pyrenees, and hopefully filled in the future with many travels in the pursuit of great rides and remote areas. Enjoy the reading!

Maladeta peak, 3.308m...the culmination of a great season in the Pyrenees! June, 30th 2013

I´m back again! It´s true that it has been almost a couple of months since last time I went skiing....I was meant to do some more activities in the mean time but unfortunately I couldn´t make it because of stormy weather (a historic flood included). But still, I was decided to end this season as it deserved!

On Saturday we spent the day in cala Romana, a small beatiful beach close to the old Tarraco. At 17:45, I laid myself down at the Sun after a last dip in the Mediterranean. Then, around 22:15 I was looking for a place to sleep under a pine tree in la Besurta 1920m, in the heart of the big Pyrinees.

I am not lying, but I barely slept 3h...The dawn made me to start before I had thought. That was before 6am. I took a picture of myself. Ahead I had around 1400m to climb one of the highest peak here. Obviously, the goal was to ski its glacier and big slope where the snowpack usually remains until the beginning of June. This year much longer and in greater amounts...


Someone else shared my idea and we all went up together.



Surprinsingly, it was possible to put the skies on at 2250m...not even 20min from the refuge....Definetely, It has bean an epic year...


Such a pleasure skinning up...Who would say that the following day will be July?!?!


It was 10am when we arrived at Rimaya coll. That was the third time I got that point and I had ever gone on because of the dangerous conditions that the last corridor posed...

But this time I was bound to try it!


Steep and exposed....but I made it! Those black points are our backpacks and skies, so the corridor is not definetely short either!


And summit, la Maladeta peak 3.308m, in the heart of the Pyrinees!


Let´s go to the point...If I came here was not to climb this peak, but to snowboard it down!!


I swear.....I did not expect it to be in such a great conditions. Its not just the amount of snow which would allow us to get back to 2250m...but the awesome corn snow we enjoyed for about the half of the descent....

The pictures will tell...



From 2700m the snow was not even as bad as anyone could expect for being in summer...



Until the lake...


Slightly more than an hour to get back to the car on foot....Last picture from the path...


To sum up, I could not have finished in better way this season. Riding down 1000m of a straight and good descent the last day of June is priceless...I could keep skiing a couple of weekend more (at least for sure the next one)...but I think It has been already enough...Its high time that the Mediterrenean took my time!!

I look forward to the next season and I wish I was here....but we will see where I am!! Happy summer!

No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario