For snowboarders who like mountains...

This blog has been created with the purpose of compiling almost all my backcountry days from my first steps in the Cantabrican mountains to mountain ranges such as the Alps and the Pyrenees, and hopefully filled in the future with many travels in the pursuit of great rides and remote areas. Enjoy the reading!

Pic Font Blanca, 2904m ...Discovering Andorra! April, 13th

Finally, all turned out well! On Wednesday, I suddenly suffered from the worst sore throat I ve ever had. My body temperature went up to 39.5ºC!! That day I had already given up for lost the weekend. The thing was that the fever was gone on Thursday and the sorethroat was under control with antibiotics so I was totally ready to a complete weekend in Andorra as it was in my things-to-do list.

There are, obviously, plenty of mountains in Andorra that can be skied. A handful of them are "classical" and among all of them I chose these two: pic Font Blanca and Montmalus. which in my opinion were the most suitable for snowboard, the snowpack and other reasons.

As you can see, many people though same way. I got there aroun 10:30, not late considering I was leaving from Mediterranean at 8am...



First part trough a pine forest as usual. Then a big "flat" with first (the last on ein the descent) steep slope at the background.


Once I had it, a second "flat". There were skiers going down already....what time do people start?? I seriously dont know why to be in such a hurry....Iam not going to the evident coll at the right. The track actualy went to the left with a second steep slope....guess what is after that steep slope?!


...yes a "flat" followed by another steep slope to get the coll.  I thougt the white point was the summit, but I was totally wrong, I was just at around 2600m by then.



Once I got that coll I could clearle see the summit. The white point I refered before was just the upper part of the coll.

What a beatiful summit! The fourth and last good slope to reach the snowy summit.


Yes! Summit! Its one of the few peaks that reach the 2900m height in Andorra. The view is gorgeous, but as usual I keep it to me...so no panoramic! There are just numberless snowy peak westwards!! 


I have no picture from the first slope from the summit to the coll, but its the big slope a couple of pics before. Great corn snow into a majestic scenary!

This is from the second good slope. That point in the right had was what I thought was the summit.



Still plenty of descent left!. The car is at 1850m and I am still at 2600m.


This pic with pines is from the first steep slope while I was going up. Luckily, the descent is steep enough for this kind of snow -somewhat heavy now on-.


Before I entered the forest I took this picture. It was taken at 2150m and the snowpack reachs the 2m. Definetely has been a wonderful winter.


Great choice. Perfect combination of different terrains, high peak and a long descent -around 1150m-with funny slopes. I also discovered that this part of Andorra - Ordino range- is quite different from the rest of Andorra. I the reason, at least when it comes to talking about the weather is that is "north side".

No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario